* * * I have permission from the local "Belleville Times" newspaper to copy word for word on my web page. The article you are about to read is from September 5, 1996 by Joe Brennan the editor. It was on the front page to page 3. The article has been modified a bit.
"Big Mike" bikes for MS
* Most people will probably be relaxing this weekend after a long holiday break, but Belleville resident "Big Mike" Dowd has other plans.
* Dowd, 26, is participating in the 9th Annual MS One Hundred bicycle run on Saturday, Sept. 7 through Sept. 8 for multiple sclerosis. The event is sponsored by the Greater North Jersey Chapter of the MS Society.
* Dowd said the 100 mile trek will begin in Ramsey, N.J. and end at Port Jervis, N.Y.
* "I saw an article in the paper in 1990. It was something I liked to do. It's a challenge for me and it helps to find a cure," said Dowd, who has been an avid biker for 15 years.
* Challenges are nothing new to Dowd, who is blind in his right eye and deaf in his right ear. He participated in the Coast the Coast Bike Tour in May. This 170 mile trip started at Sandy Hook and ended at Cape May. For overcoming his hearing and sight impairments, Dowd received an "outstanding achievement award" from the Mid-Jersey Chapter of the bike tour.
* Dowd wanted to thank all of his sponsors for the up coming bike run this weekend. They are as follows: The Belleville Police PBA 28, The FMBA Local 29, Who's On First, Frankie's Favorite Flavors, Michael's Roscommon House, ADP and his mother, sister and his friends.